Watch Your Step
- Remove tripping hazards. Keep pathways, halls and stairways clear of clutter. Remove throw rugs or make sure they are secure. Look out for pets. Click here for more information about making your home safe.
- Watch out for ice, cracks and uneven surfaces while walking. Use a walking aid if you have balance problems. Talk to your health care provider about aids that are right for you.
- Have your eyes checked every year. Your eyes not only see where you are going but help with balance and movement.
- Wear shoes that support your feet and help you keep your balance. Click here for more information about choosing shoes.
- Avoid rushing and doing too many things at once.
If you are unable to afford to modify your home or buy special equipment you need, call the Seniors' INFOline at 1-888-910-1999 to get a copy of the Seniors Programs and Services Guide or order it online at www.publications.serviceontario.ca
This guide lists programs that help adults live on their own safely.
Tell your doctor or healthcare provider if you have had a fall.