Displays for promoting physical activity
Handouts for Seniors
- Finding Balance brochure
- A Million Messages - Physical Activity
Ideas for Display
- Finding Balance photos and artwork
- Provide a variety of equipment for participants to try (i.e. Bocce balls, badminton racquets, skipping ropes).
- Information on different types of activities
- Endurance activities (walking, cycling, hiking)
- Flexibility activities (stretching, Tai Chi, golf, yoga)
- Strength and balance activities
- Information on locally offered activity programs i.e. Tai Chi, water aerobics, yoga, dancing, mall walking, etc.
- Images of active seniors
Ideas for active participation
- Set up an area to allow participants to evaluate their risk of falling:
- Timed-Up-and-Go Test
- Display examples of pedometers for participants to try.
- A pedometer toolkit for loan is available from the Alberta Centre for Active Living
- Offer an exercise class, bowling, Wii Challenge.
- Partner with a local gym that would hold fitness classes for seniors.